Monday, June 15, 2009

It's a Lat Lat Lat World...

This just came out at kino.

Lat: The Early Years. Retailing for $63.13.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/National/2543117/Article/index_html

http://nursamad.blogspot.com/2009/04/lat-early-series.html

This reminds me of how I used to send Lat books to comic artists overseas in the 1990s way before First Second put out Kampong Boy and Town Boy for the North American market. Jim Woodring, Larry Gonick, Seth, Collier were some of the ones who really like Lat. They were nice enough to send things back as trades. Others whom I shan't name didn't bother.

I remember sending the McDonald's placemat for Lat's Kampong Burger to Jim Woodring and he wrote back expressing his disappointment. Something pure has given way to commericalism.

In 2002, I went to Toronto for a conference and brought along copies of Town Boy as gifts for friends. Had lunch with Collier, Seth, Joe Matt and Chester Brown. They were thrilled with Town Boy. We visited The Beguiling after that and I gave them a copy too.

A few years later, through the help of John Lent, I helped Ng Suat Tong to contact Lat for Rosetta Vol 1.

Life was simpler then.

2 comments:

collier said...

...and this is why Lim Cheng Tju is THE MAN

B0N0V0X said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I went down to Kino to pick it up as soon as I read it. I believe I saw you shopping for comics yesterday too.