Sunday, July 19, 2009

Queer Beats

Was reading The Beats: A Graphic History by Harvey Pekar, Ed Piskor, etc.

Picked up Queer Beats: How the Beats Turned America On to Sex ed. Regina Marier later on.

Here's an interesting bit by John Giorno:

Little did I know that Allen Ginsberg breaking up Jack Kerouac and me was a sign of things to come. The first of many times that Allen would be an obstacle to me. An endlessly recurring pattern,that went on for 40 years, until Allen died,and afterwards. Allen was a good friend on the surface, and a secretly obstructing force; paraniod,but true. Among the many reasons and complicated karma were that Allen was jealous of anyone close to William Burroughs and I lived with William for 3decades in the Bunker at 222 Bowery in NY and in Lawrence,Kansas, and toured performing with him endlessly.

I ran into Jack Kerouac occasionally during his brief visits to NY over the next 10 years,until he died in 1969.He became a nice,overweight, drunk guy. Nothing ever happened again,because it was too much troubleto make it happen.I had gone to Andy Warhol and the 1960s, and the golden age of promiscuity.

1 comment:

B0N0V0X said...

What a coincidence! I just read the Beats GN over the weekend too!