Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tape Hiss and Speed

Listening to the Pixies' Gigantic on my ipod recently reminded me of specially ordering Surfer Rosa from Valentine Music at Paradiz Centre in 1988. I heard John Peel playing it and I just had to get this record. It was sold to me 'under the counter' because the cover was a topless woman. Ah, the dark ages of the 1980s. Valentine charged a premium for this 'underground' music.



I taped it on to a cassette to listen to it on my walkman. And when the batteries are dying, the speed of the music slows down. It's like some blackmasking being done. But I kind of like it. Just like Butthole Surfers' Locust Abortion Technician (1987). One of the tracks required you to switch from 33 1/3 to 45 and back.



You can't do that when you listen to music on the ipod.
I miss the hiss.

1 comment:

harold said...

indeed. the joys of tapes... chuck em in and bang em out and fling em about!! i spent a small fortune on all those imported 4AD tapes from Valentine....