Monday, December 13, 2010

The one that started it

One of the fun things about comics conventions is the collecting of sketches from your friends and the artists you like.

I tend not to be pushy about such things, so when I was at San Diego 3 years ago, it didn't even occur to me to do that.

So there I was just hanging around and saw that people were lining up to get Matt Wagner's signature. There were just 3 or 4 people in the line, so I join in as I don't bother with the long queues. Thought I just get him to sign the programme book.

But everyone in line was getting him to sketch something. I was the only one not having a sketch book in hand. Without asking, the lady behind (who was there to help her boyfriend to collect autographs and sketches, so you know she was nice) gave me a piece of art paper to get his sketch. That was a nice SDCC gesture. You learn about the ethics of queuing up for autographs/sketches and simply to chill and have a chat with the people in the line.

I bought a small sketch at the con after that and have been collecting since - STGCC, SWF and while we were waiting for lunch to start at Adrian Teo's wedding.

This is the one that started it.



My fave sketch from this year is by Ken Foo.

Oh yeah, we had fun at STGCC 10. See you again next year.

No comments: